What Is Not Covered In Senior Citizen Health Insurance Plan
On the other hand, these policies are unlikely to provide coverage under certain circumstances. Some of these are as follows:
- Self-inflicted injuries
- Pre-existing diseases before the waiting period
- Injuries due to alcohol consumption or drug abuse
- Medical conditions diagnosed within 30 days of purchasing the policy
Niva Bupa Health Pulse Policy
The Niva Bupa Health Pulse is a low-cost and pocket-friendly health insurance plan, where the insured gets coverage from INR 3 lakh to INR 25 lakh. The yearly premium of this policy is INR 8,339. The policy comes in two variants: Classic and Enhanced. This plan also covers mental disorders and expenses related to the treatment of HIV/AIDS.
- Sum Insured: INR 3 lakh to INR 25 lakh
- Network Hospitals: 8,600 +
What Are The Benefits Of Medical Insurance For Senior Citizens
Health Insurance for Senior Citizens is designed in such a way that will provide several benefits keeping in mind the needs of the ederly. With this health insurance, an aged individual can avail of multiple benefits. Some of the crucial ones are mentioned below:
With this health insurance plan in your pocket, you don’t have to worry about paying for pre & post hospitalization expenses, daycare expenses, ambulance charges, domiciliary hospitalization expenses, among others.
With the availability of cashless facilities,one can easily avail of the cashless medical treatment from any of the network hospitals that are a part of the respective insurer’s network.With this, an individual can get the best treatment possible without paying for the expenses .
Many senior citizen health insurance plans come with a lifetime renewability benefit, which offers you the advantage of getting a lifetime cover, without any restrictions or age bar.
Pre Medical Tests
Most insurers don’t ask for pre-medical tests in these specially designed senior citizen plans. People who would otherwise opt for a normal health insurance plan at the age of 60+ would most likely have to go through a pre-screening test. This is one very important benefit because in old age, most people have pre-existing diseases and therefore land up not getting any company to offer them a standard plan.
Coverage to Elderly People
Recommended Reading: Who Sells Private Health Insurance
Why Do You Need A Medical Insurance For Senior Citizen
As a person grows older, the possibility and severity of certain diseases increase. As a result, the elderly are burdened with increased healthcare bills. However, apart from their pension, many older persons do not have a regular source of income. With their low means, paying for pricey medical treatment may be challenging. That is why getting health insurance for senior citizens is extremely important.
There are several reasons that wil justify buying a seperate medical insurance for senior citizens. Take a look:
- With the continuous rise in healtcare costs, having a seperate senior health insurance for your aged parents or grandparents is quite important. Not only will it ensure that they can avail quality healthcare facility but also will protect your finances
- The possibility of critical illnesses such as heart disease, cancer, and other serious disorders grow more as people age. With a senior citizen health insurance policy, you can also get coverage for critical illnesses as part of your standard plan or as an add-on cover.
- Knowing that your parents/grandparents healtcare needs are looked after, will offer peace of mind and will ensure that they receive the best of everything.
Do Senior Citizens Get Continuity Advantages If They Port Their Senior Citizen Health Insurance Plans
When you port your senior citizen health insurance policy from one insurance company to another, you are allowed to carry forward your continuity advantages, such as No Claim Bonus or cumulative bonus and waiting periods, to your new policy. However, you need to port to a plan with similar coverage to ensure continuity benefits. Make sure to contact the insurance provider beforehand to know about the terms and conditions related to insurance portability.
Don’t Miss: Does Heb Offer Health Insurance
What Is Cashless Claim
As the name suggests, a cashless claim is when you wont be required to pay anything from your pocket. However, this is only possible if youre being treated at one of our network hospitals. How to settle a cashless health claim? 1. Get in touch with us via phone call or email, before 72 hours of the hospitalization in case of a planned hospitalization or, within 24 hours of the hospitalization in case of an emergency. 2. Share your health card/copy of e-card along with an ID proof with the concerned hospital authority and obtain the pre-authorization form from the hospital. 3. Fill in the form, sign and submit to the concerned hospital authority.4. Ensure that the hospital shares your signed form to the Third-Party Administrator or Service Provider for further processing. 5. Once your form is processed, the TPA will issue an authorization letter after confirming the claim along with your policy terms and conditions directly with the hospital. 6. Once everything is approved and you have a go-ahead, the required treatment must take place within 15 days from the date the respective form was filled in.
As the name suggests, a cashless claim is when you wont be required to pay anything from your pocket. However, this is only possible if youre being treated at one of our network hospitals.
How to settle a cashless health claim?
3. Fill in the form, sign and submit to the concerned hospital authority.
Best Health Insurance For Retirees Of 2022
- Best for Supplementing Medicare: Humana
- Best for Low-Income Seniors: Medicaid
- Best for Under 65: Cigna
- Providers in Network: 1.3 million
- No. States Available: 50
UnitedHealthcare is one of the leading providers of Medicare Advantage plans and our pick for the best overall provider because of its robust coverage options, expansive provider networks, and covered services, such as 100% of immunizations and preventive care.
Coverage when traveling outside the country
Additional services covered
Immunizations and preventive services 100% covered
Only available to those eligible for Medicare
Additional premium may be required
Potential location limitations
While Medicare is a valuable insurance option, it has limitations. It doesnt include prescription drug coverage, medical care received outside of the United States, or dental or vision care. If you want those services covered, you can opt for a Medicare Advantage Plan, also known as Medicare Part C.
UnitedHealthcare is the largest provider of Medicare Advantage Plans, with 27% of Medicare Advantage beneficiaries enrolled in the companys plans. It also has an A+ rating from AM Best.
- Hearing aids
- Medical transportation
If you are eligible for Medicare, enrolling in a Medicare Advantage Plan from UnitedHealthcare is a good way to ensure you have a complete health insurance plan that goes beyond Medicares covered services.
Read Also: Is Priority Health Good Insurance
What Should I Look Out For In A Senior Citizen Medical Insurance Policy
Health insurance for senior citizens mostly comes with mandatory pre-policy medical check-ups, limited coverage, and an extensive list of exclusions. You must check these factors carefully before buying a plan. You should also look out for factors, such as entry/exit age, maximum renewal age, co-payment, domiciliary treatment, etc. while buying the policy.
How To File A Cashless Claim For Treatment At A Tata Aig Network Hospital
If you receive medical treatment at one of our network hospitals across the country, you can file a cashless claim under your Senior Citizen Health Insurance Policy. Here’s the process to file a cashless claim under your senior citizen mediclaim policy.
Step 1: Send us your cashless insurance claim via email within 24 hours of being hospitalised. If you have a hospitalisation scheduled in advance, it is advisable to inform us before you get admitted to a hospital.
Step 2: After receiving your health insurance claim form, you will be issued a Claim Intimation/Reference Number, which you should retain for further correspondence regarding the claim.
Step 3: You must submit the following documents with your cashless claim.
- A copy of your health insurance plan
- Your insurance card
- Your photo identity proof and address proof
- A duly filled CKYC form in case the value of the claim is higher than 1 lakh
Step 4: Once we have received the above documents, we will issue an authorisation letter to the relevant network hospital and pay your hospital bill.
Step 5: All you have to worry about is your health and recovery!
Recommended Reading: How To Cancel My Health Insurance
Benefits Of Health Insurance For Senior Citizens
If a seniors health is not managed well through regular check-ups and preventive care, there is a risk of medical emergencies like stroke and heart attacks. This could lead to significant financial stress for the family if unprepared.
Through proper care and good health-seeking behavior, senior citizens can remain productive, comfortable, and happy with good quality of life.
Getting health insurance also gives you a sense of security during medical emergencies.
Some benefits covered by health insurance may include
- Outpatient Care includes routine consultations, annual physical examinations, laboratory, and diagnostic examinations, and imaging examinations
- Inpatient Care includes hospitalizations , medications, doctors professional fees, and procedures that are done while admitted, like transfusions. Some health insurances also give cash benefits per day depending on plan and illness.
- Coverage of Surgery and Procedures may cover the cost of surgical professional fees, use of operating and recovery rooms, and medications. Some may cover outpatient surgical procedures.
- Special Procedures like chemotherapy, radiotherapy, or physical/occupational therapy
- Mental Health Consultations/Support
- Emergency Care ER fees and procedures like pain management, laboratories, animal bite management, and trauma management
- Coverage or Cash Benefit for Sudden Accidents or Disability
- Critical Illness Benefit
- Financial Support for the bereaved family in case of sudden death or disability
Bajaj Allianz Silver Health:
Health care gets expensive as you age, and this policy assures that all your healthcare costs are covered. The plan covers both you and your spouse when you need expensive medical care. It is a comprehensive health care plan that offers great flexibility in terms of the sum assured under the reputed name of Bajaj Allianz.
- Entry-exit age gap is 46-70
- The policy offers to cover an amount equivalent to 3% of admissible hospitalisation charges
- Pre and post hospitalisation expenses are covered
- Ambulance charges in the time of emergency subject to a limit of Rs.1,000 are covered
- Covers pre-existing illnesses and diseases from the second year of the policy
- A family discount of 5% is applicable to the policy
- Waiver of co-payment if the policyholder pays more premium
- Tax benefits on premium paid under section 80D of the income Tax Act
Also Check: Can Grandparents Put Grandchildren On Their Health Insurance
What Are The Benefits Of Health Insurance Plans For Senior Citizens
Health insurance plans for senior citizens could come with numerous benefits. Some of these are highlighted below:
- Comprehensive CoverageMany health insurance plans for senior citizens provide coverage for a wide range of eligible medical expenses. With these policies, you may not fret about, for example, bearing daycare expenses, pre and post hospitalisation charges, domiciliary hospitalisation expenses, or ambulance charges, depending on the terms and conditions of your chosen plan
- Life-long RenewabilitySeveral health insurance plans for senior citizens have a lifetime renewability benefit. As a result, you can avail of a lifetime cover without any restrictions on maximum age.
- Cashless TreatmentWith this feature, an insured individual can easily avail of cashless treatment from his/her insurers network hospital. Therefore, the insured can receive treatment without having to pay anything upfront.
- Pre-medical TestsMany providers of medical health insurance for senior citizens do not require pre-medical tests. On the other hand, if you opt for a standard health insurance policy at the age of 60 or above, you will most likely need to take a pre-screening test. This is one of the most significant benefits of health insurance for senior citizens above 60 years.
- Tax BenefitsIndividuals availing of a senior citizen health insurance policy, for themselves or parents, can avail of tax deduction benefits of up to Rs. 50,000 under Section 80D of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
Is There Any Add Cover/rider With Senior Citizen Health Plan
Riders with senior citizen health plans may differ from plan to plan or insurer to insurer. You have the flexibility to customize the health plan while buying.
What is Not included in my Senior Citizen Health Plan?
Following are the conditions/exclusions that are not included in your Senior Citizen Health Plan.
Pre-existing conditions: Any illness that had symptoms or received medical treatment within a stipulated period of the commencement of the first policy.
First 30 days: You cant claim for the first 30 days from the commencement of the health policy. Accident injury claims, however, dont require a waiting period.
Non-allopathic treatment including.
Medical conditions resulting from the consumption of alcohol, smoking, drugs, etc.
Health conditions arising due to war, nuclear weapons, radiation of any kind, etc.
Medical expenses incurred for treatment of STDs and AIDS.
Cost of contact lenses, hearing aids, and specs.
Convalescence, congenital external defects, intentional self-injury, general debility, expenses for diagnostic tests related to the disease for which the insured has not been hospitalized.
Ailments such as non-infective arthritis, joint replacement, etc. are covered after completion of 2 consecutive policy years.
Also Check: Why Do You Need Health Insurance
Hdfc Ergo My: Health Women Suraksha
HDFC ERGO My: Health Women Suraksha policy is a comprehensive plan which provides financial protection against critical illnesses such as cancer, brain stroke etc. This policy is specifically designed for women policyholders and thus it offers extensive protection against minor ailments, major illnesses, surgeries and critical illnesses related to women.
- Sum Insured: INR 3 lakh to INR 24 lakh
- Network Hospitals: 13,000+
Importance Of Life Insurance For Senior Citizens
Life insurance is especially important for senior citizens. This is because they are more likely to have dependents, such as grandchildren, who rely on them financially.
Life insurance can provide peace of mind for both senior citizens and their loved ones. It can give seniors the assurance that their loved ones will be taken care of financially if they pass away. It can also help to relieve the financial burden on loved ones in the event of a senior citizen’s death.
Also Check: How To Qualify For Government Health Insurance
How To File A Reimbursement Claim For Treatment At A Non
If you choose to get medical treatment at a hospital that is not a part of our network of partner hospitals, you need to pay the hospitalisation bills yourself, then subsequently file a reimbursement claim with us. Here’s the process to file a reimbursement claim under your mediclaim policy for senior citizens.
Step 1: Email your reimbursement claim form to us along with the following documents:
- A copy of your senior citizen health insurance plan
- A copy of your hospital discharge certificate
- The relevant pathological test reports
- A Medical Certificate signed by a registered Medical Practitioner
- The original hospital and pharmacy bills
- Duly filled CKYC form if the claim amount is in excess of 1 lakh
- Your NEFT details
Step 2: Once we have received your health insurance reimbursement claim form with the necessary documents, we will verify the authenticity and applicability of all these documents.
Step 3: After the verification of the claim form and the supporting documents, we shall process your claim and transfer the amount to your bank account.
You can submit your Senior Citizen Health Insurance Claim at the claims page of our official website. It is advisable to check the timelines of the claims process by perusing the policy wordings.
Best Health Insurance For Retirees And Seniors
Find Cheap Medicare Plans in Your Area
For most seniors and retirees, the best health insurance plan will be Medicare. We recommend either a Medicare Advantage plan from Kaiser Permanente or a Medicare Supplement Plan G from AARP/UnitedHealthcare .
However, there may be another good option depending on your age and income. If you have a low income, you may qualify for Medicaid, which is free or low-cost. And if you’re under 65 and don’t qualify for Medicare, we recommend a Blue Cross Blue Shield plan from the health insurance marketplace.
Also Check: How Does Employer Health Insurance Work
What Are Some Smart Buying Tips
Following are some of the key buying tips you can follow to buy the Senior Citizen Health Insurance Policy.
Buy an Adequate Health Cover: When buying a plan, apart from judging its benefits, you also need to select the sum assured that can easily cover the medical expenses and is adequate for health treatment expenses. If you are under-covered, you need to pay bills from your pocket, and if over-covered, you need to pay high premiums to get a health cover that you don’t require at the current moment. So, be prudent in choosing the sum assured amount. Opt for the right amount of health cover considering medical inflation, treatment and surgery costs, hospital room rents cost, your health condition, etc.
Check on the List of Illnesses Covered: You should ascertain the number of illnesses covered under the health plan. It would be a prudent decision to choose a health policy that covers a wide range of diseases. As with advanced age, the elderly person is more prone to illnesses and other kinds of treatments. The health plans also include some illnesses which are not covered under the senior citizen health plan, which needs to be reviewed before buying. You can buy a plan that covers the maximum number of illnesses, including critical illnesses.